If you are a graduate student, please contact Jeff Whitehead or Vanessa Sterling for assistance.
Things to Do Now
- Begin an application (opens April 2) and register as a Pitt Main Campus applicant
- Attend a mandatory Fulbright information session
- Thoroughly read Fulbright’s website
- Carefully consider the profiles of countries
- Research country; keep up with current events in the country
- Consider potential recommendation writers and discuss with a Scholarship Mentor
- Put together a support team of faculty experts in your country and project area, such as advisors in UCIS, ELI, and relevant Pitt departments
- Look for opportunities to strengthen your candidacy, e.g. become a volunteer ELI instructor
- Begin networking for affiliates (research and study grants only)
- Schedule a meeting with Scholarship Mentor Lesha Greene to discuss your application
- Read sample Fulbright essays in the UHC office (drop-ins are welcome!)
April to August 1
- Send recommendation packet to your referees no later than June.
- Send for all university/college transcripts (unofficial is okay), both in the United States and abroad
- Secure your affiliation letter (if needed)
- Meet with a national scholarships advisor at least three times to review drafts of your essays
- Meet with your support team to discuss your essays
- Schedule and complete your language evaluation (if needed)
- Complete your online Fulbright application, including uploading transcripts, affiliation letter, and any other supplemental materials; print out and show to national scholarships advisor
- *We will be in touch by mid-August to tell you when during the 2nd or 3rd week of September your interview will be held. Please note that we need to accommodate our committee members' schedules, so you may have to miss class or ask off of work if they conflict with your interview. If you have any inflexible commitments during this week, you must let the National Scholarships Office know well in advance.
- Campus Deadline: Submit your complete application through Fulbright’s Embark system; the application goes to the National Scholarships office, not to the Fulbright office.
September 10 through 21:
- Final Campus Deadline: Submit your final application through Fulbright’s Embark system.