Receive up to $5,000 to help you pursue an internship in the U.S. Senate in Washington D.C. Awards are granted in the fall, before you apply to internships.
Deadline: November 1, 2020 for Summer 2021 placements
To apply for the Frederick or Keefe Awards, please log into the PittFundsMe portal, and search for "Frederick/Keefe." If you are eligible for the award, the application will be visible to you.
Info Session: October 22, 2020 3-4pm
Please join us to hear from the 6 students who interned this past summer. They will share their successes and challenges, how they transitioned to remote work, and how to put together a great application.
- Up to $5,000 to cover costs of living during the summer of your otherwise unpaid internship (approximately from mid-May through early-August.)
- Support and connections to apply for placement in the Senate. The award committee has designated positions in the office of U.S. Senator Robert Casey of Pennsylvania, but the award advisors can also help you apply for other Congressional opportunities.
If you're also interested in prestigious internships in other areas of government or with a nonprofit, check the application box to apply for the David C. Frederick Public Service Internship Award, which supports internships in all public service areas.
- Recommended GPA of 3.50 or above.
- You must be a full-time Pitt undergraduate student during your internship.
- Priority is given to high-achieving students with an interest in leadership, community service, and the common good.
Materials for submission:
- Statement of Interest: An essay of 750-words or less discussing your area of interest for the internship, how this program would further your academic goals, and how public service fits into your broader life trajectory.
- 1-page resume
- Letter of Recommendation
If you have questions, contact Stacie Dow, Program Manager of Student and Faculty Engagement at the Honors College, at email@example.com, or Andrew Lotz, PhD, Lecturer and Academic Advisor in the Department of Political Science, at ANL7@pitt.edu.