Harry S. Truman Scholarship 2017 - Pitt Campus Process
Characteristics of Potential Truman Scholar
- Track record of outstanding service, leadership, academic potential.
- Ability to meaningfully discuss a wide range of domestic and global events.
- Extremely competitive (typically one Truman Scholar per state).
- Ambitious and committed to becoming a change agent.
- Thoroughly read Truman website, www.truman.gov.
- Notify Ian Riggins (email@example.com) with your intent to apply ASAP – HE MUST ENTER YOU IN THE TRUMAN ONLINE APPLICATION SYSTEM for you to begin your application.
- Schedule a minimum of three advising appointments with Ian Riggins or Judy Zang to discuss drafts of your application before December 2 campus deadline.
- Begin research for policy proposal.
- Find faculty mentor with expertise in area of your policy topic. Meet with faculty mentor for initial discussion; make additional appointment for later in November to go over your policy draft.
- Seek appropriate letter writers who can speak to leadership, service, and intellect.
- Discuss your choice of letter writers with Ian or Judy ASAP.
- Get a commitment from 3 recommendation writers who can write about you in one of three capacities; See instructions and LOR forms on https://www.truman.gov/guidance-letters-recommendation/
- Prepare recommendation packets (follow instructions on scholarships website: http://www.honorscollege.pitt.edu/sites/default/files/Scholarship%20Application%20Guidelines.pdf
- LOR writers should send letters via email to Ian Riggins, firstname.lastname@example.org, by December 2.
- Continue to work on application. Seek advice from writing center and a faculty member/advisor.
- Give 3 recommendation writers SOLID draft of your application BEFORE THEY COMPLETE THEIR LETTERS.
DECEMBER 2, 2016 - FIRST CAMPUS DEADLINE
- Complete application due, including 3 letters of recommendation, policy proposal, and all transcripts.
- Campus interview of candidates; selection of 4 nominees (and up to 3 additional nominations for transfer students).
- Campus selection committee feedback is given to nominees. Nominees continue to work on applications until final campus deadline.
JANUARY 27, 2017 - FINAL CAMPUS DEADLINE FOR NOMINEES
- Submit final application.
FEBURARY 7, 2017 – TRUMAN APPLICATION DEADLINE
FEBRUARY 24, 2017 – Final posting
MARCH 3 through APRIL 7, 2017 – Regional Review Panels
APRIL 12, 2017 – Scholar Posting
MAY 23-28, 2017 – Truman Scholars Leadership Week