Home › Scholarships › National Scholarships Advising › National Scholarships that Require Pitt Endorsement ›
Beinecke Scholarship 2017 - Pitt Campus Process
PDF of Beinecke Scholarship Pitt campus process
Characteristics of Potential Beinecke Scholar
- Major in the arts, humanities, or social sciences
- Documented history of receiving need-based financial aid during your undergraduate years (you can have a full scholarship to Pitt if you can demonstrate that without the scholarship you would have financial need)
- Superior scholastic achievement (close to a 3.8 or 3.9 GPA)
- Scholarly research experience
- Intent to pursue a master’s degree or PhD in the arts, humanities, or social sciences
- Extremely competitive (Pitt can only nominate one student per year, and 14 Beinecke Scholarships are awarded nationally per year)
OCTOBER THROUGH JANUARY 17
- Thoroughly read Beinecke website: http://fdnweb.org/beinecke
- Schedule a minimum of three advising appointments with Ian Riggins or Judy Zang to discuss drafts of your application before January 17 campus deadline.
- Complete the financial data sheet with someone from the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid.
- Seek appropriate letter writers who can speak to your intellectual ability, scholastic achievement, and personal promise.
- Discuss your choice of letter writers with Ian or Judy ASAP.
- Get a commitment from 3 recommendation writers.
- Prepare recommendation packets (follow instructions on National Scholarships website): http://www.honorscollege.pitt.edu/sites/default/files/Scholarship%20Application%20Guidelines.pdf
- Give 3 recommendation writers a SOLID draft of your application BEFORE THEY COMPLETE THEIR LETTERS.
JANUARY 17, 2017 - FIRST CAMPUS DEADLINE
- Email your completed Beinecke application (personal statement, unofficial transcripts, completed financial data sheet, and resume or CV) to Ian Riggins, firstname.lastname@example.org, and Judy Zang, email@example.com.
- Faculty should EMAIL an attachment of their LORs to Ian Riggins, firstname.lastname@example.org, and Judy Zang, email@example.com.
- Campus committee meets to select one Pitt nominee.
- Campus selection committee feedback is given to the nominee. The nominee continues to work on application until final campus deadline.
FEBRUARY 10, 2017 – FINAL CAMPUS DEADLINE
- Submit a hard copy of your final Beinecke application (personal statement, official transcripts, completed financial data sheet, and resume or CV) to the National Scholarships Office.
- Faculty should deliver hard copies of their LORs to the National Scholarships Office.